compass rose

 Accidental Cruiser in the West Indies

Still in Nanny Cay Marina
This journal is a log of all the messages from Susie & Lance. For pictures, please see the Gallery.
Thursday, Dec. 19th. 2002
    This morning we checked out of the Jolly Roger and brought our bags over to the boat in the Marina. We have signed the acceptance, and wired over the money. Here it is Thursday, and I haven't been sailing, haven 't been swimming.
    Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights were spent at the Jolly Roger, on West End in Sopers Hole. Bungie gave us rides there and picked us up in the morning on his way to the office. Good thing too, because the taxi ride is $15 each way, even though it can't be more than 3 miles. The place is colorful, the restaurant is on the water, open air, the rooms are small, colorfully painted, most with shared bath -- there are only 5, no air conditioning, so the noise and smells of the restaurant waft up, until things settle down and everyone goes home. Everything is expensive; most everything is shipped in -- not much local production. We're saving our money to spend on the boat.
    The survey was thorough. I sat with notebook and pen in hand and made notes on everything I heard the surveyor say. The day was sunny and still, missing the famous tradewinds we hear so much about, and long for, believe me. Bungie was aware that I already had two pages of notes on the things we noticed, so he kept looking to see how many pages I had now. It turns out that he went and called the seller in Canada, and gave him progress reports on how much stuff I was writing down. Monday night it had rained and rained and rained, so we had the opportunity to determine which hatches were leaking. It had also cleaned up the boat nicely, and now it is filthy from all
of us tromping around. At 12 cents a gallon for water, we don't hose if off!
    Of course, my purpose in taking notes was to learn about the boat and note all the suggested improvements and repairs. She has been rode hard and hung up wet, as the song goes. But I am becoming more and more fond of her. There are repairs to the structural liner fitted on top of the hull: "looks ugly, but sounds okay" says Bill Bailey. The engine is a pretty new volvo, with about 400 hours on her, started right up. The aft head is stinky, y-valve is leaking, and pump needs rebuild. Forward head is fine. At 11:30, we took the boat over for the haul-out. We found the very crusty prop, a little sliver of the keel bulb missing, and some wrong sounding thumps around where part of the liner is attached. Bill said he wasn't sure it was important, and wouldn't know until he went back on board. The sun was hidden behind clouds, so the bottom wasn't drying out. We went to lunch and came back later to check for osmotic blisters. We had a short sea trial, testing engine, gps, radio, autopilot, raising the sails and finding no wind, then back to the dock. Bill got his bosuns chair and Bungie hauled him up the mast, where he inspected every portion. After going up the rig, he came aboard to do some more looking at the liner repairs, and decided to check to see if some water stains were due to a leaking water tank. This involved borrowing a hose and filling the tank. In the process of stepping across from the dock to the transom, Bill missed his step and went in, cell phone, pager, and all. Everyone says he's never done that, and he's taking a lot of grief for it. He is also walking around with a bashed elbow
Click for a journal entry list
and swollen knee. The survey continued on into the afternoon, and the results were summarized over beers at
around 6pm. It was a very long day, we got our money's worth. Bungie took the list of items that have to fixed for insurance purposes: a cracked hatch, a cracked OH SHIT RAIN ON MY COMPUTER HOLD ON GOTTA CLOSE HATCHES. Okay, little squall, boat is cleaner now. Where were we, yes cracked hatch cover, cracked lifeline gate hooks both sides, cracked spreader, cracked lower fitting on jib. The seller agreed to fix all these at his expense, as well as the refrigeration and windlass, which were supposed to be in working order. So there is a rigger, an electrician, and a refrigerator guy showing up on and off to work on the boat.
    We have a whole list of items under the "normal wear and tear" sort of category that we have to fix. We can't leave the marina until the insurance items are complete and signed off, so we are probably stuck for a few more days. Meanwhile, we are meeting the usual cast of interesting characters who work on and around boats, and come here for vacations, and we pump all of them for information on how to fix things, and where to go etc.
    The heat in the marina is often oppressive; we long to be at anchor where you can swing around to catch more breezes and jump in to cool off. We still need to test our dinghy. The engine is mounted on the back of the boat, but we have no harness mounted to help lower it down and keep from dropping it in the drink. We'll get there soon.
Previous journal entry Back to top of entry Next journal entry
©2002-6 Accidental Cruiser Home Islands Photo Journal • Cruising LogSailing Info Viewer's Comments Comment